WHAT IS ONE HEALTH?
One Health is defined as both a concept and an approach.
As a concept, it speaks to the interconnectedness of animal, human and environmental health.
As an approach, it involves working together across disciplines to combat complex health challenges that arise at the intersection of human, animal and environmental health.
At the University of Guelph, our definition of the environment is comprehensive. Emphasis is placed on the natural environment, but in a complex world, we also recognize the importance of built environments and those that are socially constructed such as political, financial and social.
ONE HEALTH and the UNIVERSITY OF GUELPH
Within One Health, University of Guelph researchers work across disciplines and sectors to integrate the biological and social factors that impinge on the health of organisms, from the level of molecules to that of ecosystems, with unique strengths in comparative medicine. This research also explores how these factors are shaped by environmental parameters, such as climate change, ultimately informing public health and environmental health practice and policy.
Are you at student at the University of Guelph interested in One Health?
- Look into a Collaborative Specialization in One Health. This is a program for students looking to undertake graduate studies with an emphasis on One Health – click here for participating academic programs
- Consider applying for a One Health Research Grant
- Become a member of our One Health Student Committee
One Health Resources
Compiled by the International One Health Student Alliance (ISOHA)
Resources for students interested in veterinary medicine and public health, compiled by the CDC
About One Health and the One Health Commission
Student Group Resources
- Club Map listing student groups around the world
- Spreadsheet listing student groups around the world
- Toolkit on how to start a One Health club and activities to do as a club
- Includes info on Smithsonian Outbreak exhibit materials and virtual tour
- Includes info on teaching One Health lessons to children
- Revamped toolkit with graphics here
Educational Opportunities and Resources
- Education Map
- One Health Commission’s Opportunities Bulletin Board to view and submit educational opportunities
- One Health for One Planet Education (1HOPE) Initiative – Engaging in One Health education in your area
- K-12 One Health Educational Resources